1869 – Alexander Technical School was opened in Cherepovets. Its aim was to provide future qualified machinists and tradespeople.
1875 – Cherepovets Teachers' Seminary was established. Over a period of 44 years, the seminary educated 600 primary school teachers.
1919 – Teachers' Seminary was transformed into Cherepovets Institute of Public Education - the first institution of higher learning in the city. In 1939 the Institute consisted of 3 departments: Russian Language and Literature, Physics and Mathematics, and Nature and Geography.
1954 – Teachers' Institute was reorganized into Cherepovets State Pedagogical Institute.
1956 – A representative office of Northwestern Polytechnic Institute was opened in the city. It provided higher education in Engineering and Construction.
1986 – Cherepovets Branch of Northwestern Polytechnic Institute was reorganized into Cherepovets Branch of Vologda Polytechnic Institute. It consisted of 2 faculties: Industry and Construction.
1993 – Cherepovets State Industrial Institute was founded on the basis of Cherepovets Branch of Vologda Polytechnic Institute.
1996 – Cherepovets State University was founded on the basis of Cherepovets State Pedagogical Institute and Cherepovets State Industrial Institute.